Skateboarding is one of the most popular extreme sports for youngsters and the young at heart. The equipment used by the skateboarders to perform tricks and exhibitions is called skateboarding. How long do skateboards last?
Different factors influence the lifespan of an average skateboard. The average lifespan of a skateboard is 1 to 2 years. Some skateboarders could use their boards for as short as five months, but others could manage to use them for a couple of years.
Table of Contents
How Long Does a Skateboard Last
On average, a skateboard can last up to 2 years, but it can even last longer if properly maintained and taken care of. Several main factors determine the service life of a typical skateboard.
- The quality of your skateboard says a lot about how long your skateboard will last. It includes the materials used by the makers and the quality of the process of how the skateboards were made. The higher the quality, the higher the chance that it will last longer.
- The owner’s way of using his skateboard will have a high impact on how long he will be able to use his skateboard. It depends on how often you skate or what is your daily routine using your skateboard.
- If you use your skateboard for pure ride purposes only, definitely, it will last longer. It can last an average of 2 to 4 years or even more. The daily riders often use their skateboard for transportation purposes only.
- If you ride on your skateboard for some tricks and exhibitions, your skateboard can last for years. But it will not be as long as for the skateboards, which are used for pure rides and occasioned stunts.
- The amateur or average riders can damage their board and wheels more than the average rider.
- If you are a skateboarder pro and you are riding on your skateboards with many tricks and stunts every day, your skateboards have a higher chance of getting damaged and will cause faster wear off of your skateboards.
- Professional riders destroy their boards the fastest.
- Aside from the quality and the owner’s usage, another factor that affects the lifespan of your skateboard is the way the owners take care of and maintain them. Many riders often neglect this thing.
You may have the best-branded skateboard in town but not knowing how to take care of them is still not a good thing. The more focused you are on maintaining your skateboard well, the higher chances that your boards will have a longer service life.
On the other hand, the less focused you are on doing your responsibility as the board’s owner, the more you will spend more money buying a new skateboard.
So the answer to ‘How long do longboards last?’ really depends on how we maintain them. Longboards can last for months, too short for neglected and uncared boards. But on the contrary, they can last for years if you can maintain them well enough.
You must know when is the right time to replace your skateboard and longboard. Knowing the condition of your boards will help you determine if it is time to change certain parts of your board or the whole board itself.
A well-maintained skateboard will give you a smooth and hassle-free ride. Most importantly, it will keep you away from possible minor and even severe injuries.
How to Prolong Skateboards Life: Important Tips That Can Prolong Your Skateboard Life
1. Make it a habit to check your skateboard from time to time.
- Checking every detail such as bearings, trucks, and wheels will help you determine something wrong. By doing this, you will be able to prevent minor problems from getting bigger.
- Lubricate bearings as needed; this will make your wheels run smooth and clean.
2. Always make it to the point that you learned the basics first.
Familiarize yourself with correct skateboarding practices. Using your boards without proper riding styles can damage your boards sooner than usual. Riding on one foot or two feet is not enough. It is a big mistake for a rider.
3. Smooth surfaces will be good for your skateboard.
Riding on rough rides and hard surfaces will largely affect your skateboard bearings, trucks, wheels, and decks. You can refer to this detailed reviews of the most popular skateboard wheels for rough roads to find the best equip for your skateboard. These bad skate practices will harm your skateboard, so better do your skateboarding tricks on a flat road and dry surfaces or in skate parks and avoid rough surfaces as much as possible.
4. Choose your skateboard deck wisely.
Do not just go after the designs or quality; also look for the appropriate deck for your weight.
Too heavy loads will not be a good thing for your board. They will crack and wear off sooner if not given enough attention.
Always go for quality and not for quantity. A branded skateboard lasts longer than the typical average skateboard. Pricey as it may seem, you will be sure to use the board for the longest time.
5. Use an appropriate skate tool to remove and place back your skateboard parts like wheels and bearings.
Not doing so will possibly damage small parts of the board. Damaged bearings can also damage the skateboard wheels and will affect the overall performance of your skateboard. Check out these top-rated skateboard parts here.
6. Your skate shoes matter; use proper skateboarding shoes.
when you are on a ride. Inappropriate shoes will eventually scratch and damage your skateboard decks. As a rider, you should know the things that can cause your ride to be severely damaged.
7. Last, but not least is to take good care of your skateboard.
- Do not just place your ride in any places that can damage the board.
- Do not just throw it anywhere after use.
- Clean, dry, and place it on skateboard racks, if possible.
- Do not place it in a too hot or too cold place or storage.
A responsible skateboard rider will follow the mentioned guidelines to make their skateboard last.
How Long Do Skateboard Decks Last
A typical skateboard deck can last for as short as 2 weeks and can last for as long as 6 months, depending on how you treat and care for them.
Quality matters, and it determines the service life of your deck. Skateboard decks made of carbon and fiberglass are more durable and dependable than the typical skateboard decks.
It may be a bit pricey, but you will notice that the price you pay is nothing to the length of service your deck can offer. Most importantly, your usage and how you maintain your decks will play a big part in how long your decks will last.
The lifespan of your skateboard, longboard, and skateboard decks, even their wheels and trucks can vary, based on the given reasons and the experience of skateboarders involved.
This article not only tackles how long do skateboards last but also includes good tips you need to know to prolong your skateboard’s lifespan. Remember, quality and usage matter, but since skateboarding was made for extreme sport, the way you maintain your boards will prolong its life.
Find this article interesting? Please feel free to share this with other skateboard riders. Have fun and ride safely.
Hi, I am Charles Harris. I opened this site to write as much as I can about my biggest passion – skateboarding!
I started as a clumsy yet passionate rookie 10 years ago to now a still passionate yet much better skateboarder! But I have to tell you, the whole journey has always been fun and rewarding, indeed not without hardship.